Why take this action?
In collaboration with its member organisations, the Confederation has decided on a European day of action on 29 February on the eve of the European Council scheduled for 1 and 2 March.
The European trade union intends to send out a strong message to Europe’s decision-makers: enough is enough! Alternatives to austerity do exist. We need to put employment and social justice at the heart of the priorities.
The response to the crisis, for which there is universal political consensus in Europe today, is austerity and budgetary discipline. Slashing wages and social protection, attacking collective bargaining mechanisms and making employment contracts ultra-flexible are what the neoliberal ideologists are putting forward as the only prospect!
As recently as 30 January 2012 the European Summit put the finishing touches to a new international treaty bringing EU one step nearer to austerity providing for punishment in the event of deficits. This treaty, which will probably be adopted by the European Council on 1 and 2 March, sets budgetary discipline in stone and threatens to get Europe bogged down in recession.
That is why European trade unions will be mobilising on 29 February all across Europe to stress that solutions other than budgetary discipline do exist. What we need is a recovery plan for employment and sustainable growth.
To download the Poster , please click on the link below.
Actions in Belgium
- Preliminary meeting, on 28 February , of a delegation of trade union leaders with José Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission.
- On 29 February , the trade union delegation will meet the President of the European Council, Mr Herman Van Rompuy and the President of the European Parliament, Mr Martin Schultz.
- The ETUC and its Belgian members (FGTB – CSC – CGSLB) will be gathering in front of the Council of the European Union (175, rue de la Loi) between 12 noon and 1 pm.
- Actions in Brussels
Information for the Press
A Press meeting point will be available in front of the EU Council .
You will also have the opportunity to meet and interview the trade union leaders in attendance. Further information will be supplied later.
- European Trade Union Day of Action
- European Trade Union Action Day : 27 countries in action for employment and social justice
Decentralised actions across Europe
- List decentralised Trade Union Actions
European industrial federations
The European industrial federations have called on their members to support the European day of action.
The videos and photos are free of copyright.
ETUC press contacts
Patricia Grillo Head of Press and Communications +32 (0) 2 22 40 430 +32 (0) 477 77 01 64
Emanuela Bonacina Press officer +32 (0) 2 22 40 432 +32 (0) 473 94 26 47
Daniele Melli Press officer +32 (0) 2 22 40 431 +32 (0) 473 94 25 63
Press contacts for the Belgian trade union
David Vanbellinghen +32 2 246 32 84 +32 (0)477 37 88 17
Myreine Kint +32 2 246 32 84 +32 (0)494/074 695
Audrey Lhoest +32 2 506 83 65 +32 (0) 476 90 16 30
Nora Cassiers +32 2 506 82 43 +32 (0) 477 18 50 06
Dirk Mertens +32 2 558 51 50 +32 (0) 476 22 16 19
Didier Seghin +32 2 558 51 50 +32 (0) 473 78 06 18
- Economic Governance
- Economic and Social crisis
- Monetary and fiscal policies
- Economic and Social Cohesion/Structural Funds
- Financial Transaction Tax (FTT)
- Social dialogue and Industrial relations
- European Social Dialogue
- Industrial policy
- European Corporate Governance
- Collective bargaining and wage policy
- EWC/Workers' rights Information and Consultation